How do I contact someone to get my child evaluated for speech/language problems?


I'm just wondering who I could call for more information on these "Early Intervention" programs. I live in Southern California. Do I call the school district to get information, or are these programs through some other organization?

[name omitted]



Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 09:18:00 -0400 (EDT)From: chuck <>

[name omitted],

I can't speak for California but in Long Island, NY the program for kids the ages [your twins] is run by the Department of Health in the county that we live in. After the age of 3 the program is taken over by the local school district.


Brian and Jeremy's Dad 3/12/1998


Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 10:48:23 -0400Subject: early intervention programs

[name omitted]:

In most stated these programs are supported by the County in which you live. I think you may want to try your county health department. I don't remember it's been awhile. It can't hurt to have him evaluated we pay for these services through our taxes.



Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 10:15:58 EDT

Hi [name omitted],

I am in the process of having my almost-4-year-old son evaluated for speech.

I spoke to the speech pathologist for our school district and she said that it

is a federal program administered through the school districts. I would start

by calling your local school district. From what I understand there are

different programs for children birth - age 3 and 3 and up.


Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 14:48:51 -0500[name omitted] wrote about the programs available for this problem. In Texas, it is called "Early Childhood Intervention" which I assume it is called in other states too. If you live in a metropolitan area, I would start by looking in the phone book. If you don't have luck there you can call the school and they should be able to give you a number to call : you need to speak to someone in special education or ask if they have a speech therapist at that school. That is what I had to do. I wouldn't expect just the school secretary to know. Special ed. does though because these kids are usually transitioned from the ECI program into the school program at 3 years of age, if they still need services. By the way these services are available for any child who is developmentally delayed, not just speech delayed kids. They can get Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy too through these programs if it is needed. Good luck.


Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 17:10:35 -0400 (EDT)

From: chuck <>

Early intervention programs are tax supported and from what I understand are available in all 50 states. We have had no out of pocket expenses and are receiving a very full program.


Brian and Jeremy's (who are now talking like crazy - oh to look back at he good old quiet days) dad 3/12/1996


Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 23:35:14 -0400

These are federally funded and go by different names. In [my state] it is called "Birth to Three" as the program cannot service over age 3 due to the funding guidelines. If you cannot find your state's program in the phone book, call the Governor's Office main number and they will be able to refer you to the agency operating your states program. The money channels through the state budget first.

[name omitted]

Mom to g/g twins, 5 months


Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 07:54:03 -0400From: "Melissa"

I'd suggest contacting Early Intervention in your state. In Michigan where I live, it's done through the Dept of Education, Dept of Public Health, and Dept of Social Services. I'd start with your local school district – call and ask about early childhood intervention services.


Mom to b/g twins 3/12/97


Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 12:46:00 -0400From: ChristineTo: twins-l@usc.eduSubject: Re: Speech delays

First, talk to your pediatrician. he/she will send you for a hearing test. That’s the first step, if he passes the hearing then you go to a speech therapist. The ST evaluates him and sends a report back to the pediatrician, who in turn gives your name to the Early Intervention program. The EI program evaluate him and put him in the appropriate classes or if he just needs speech therapy and nothing else they will send someone to your home to help him a couple of days a week. Having said all that, each state is different and has different guidelines but this will give you some idea.

Take care