Frequently Asked Questions

Can I earn a master’s or doctoral degree specifically in film studies at the University of Pittsburgh?

No. You will earn a degree from the department in which you enroll for your graduate work. (Film studies is a program at the University of Pittsburgh, not a department). Many departments, however, offer numerous graduate courses in film studies and allow you to do your qualifying exams and dissertation on film studies topics (e.g. Department of English). It is advisable to check on this with the director of graduate studies in your home department.

What is a master’s or doctoral certificate? How does it relate to one’s departmental status?

Certificates (at both the MA and PhD level) can be earned in film studies. They are granted by the interdisciplinary Film Studies Program and are supplemental to your degree from a particular department

Will my transcript indicate a specialization in film studies?

The clearest way for your graduate transcript to reflect a focus on film studies is for you to earn either the MA or PhD graduate certificate in film studies which will be noted on your transcript.

If I enroll in one graduate department at the University, will I be able to take film studies courses in other departments?

It is quite usual for graduate film studies classes to be composed of students from numerous departments, all of whom share an interest in and focus on cinema. You should speak with the director of graduate studies of your home department to determine the precise number of courses you can take outside of your department.

Can I ever enroll as a graduate student in an undergraduate film studies course?

Some departments allow graduate students to take a very limited number of undergraduate courses for graduate credit, often with the requirement that they do additional work for the course (in consultation with their professor).

Are there any courses in film production at the graduate level?

No. We only offer undergraduate courses in film, photography, and videography through an affiliated organization near our campus: Pittsburgh Filmmakers. While graduate students do not receive credit for taking such classes, those who are funded for summer teaching are allowed to take classes free of tuition charges at Pittsburgh Filmmakers (although lab fees must be covered by the student).

Film Studies Guide to Research: A guide to finding materials in the University Library System (.doc)

Interfolio: Graduate student job file service

Graduate Dean

Film in Pittsburgh

Original sign for John Harris’ historic nickelodeon (1905)

You are using an older browser that does not support current Web standards. Although this site is viewable in all browsers, it will look much better in a browser that supports Web standards.